If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Occasional Advisor

Android application crashes due to closed caption in V4 Ooyala player

Android application crashes due to closed caption in V4 Ooyala player. Facing issue on all Android devices and all OS.

Ooyala SDK version = 4.31.1_RC4

Exo player version = r2.5.3

App crash in ClosedCaptionsView class

// Bug: what if splitLines has length = 0
splitText = (String)splitLines.get(0);

See folloing error log

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Invalid index 0, size is 0
at java.util.ArrayList.throwIndexOutOfBoundsException(ArrayList.java:255)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:308)
at com.ooyala.android.captions.ClosedCaptionsView.getSplitTextAndUpdateFrame(ClosedCaptionsView.java:230)
at com.ooyala.android.captions.ClosedCaptionsView.setClosedCaptions(ClosedCaptionsView.java:102)
at com.ooyala.android.captions.ClosedCaptionsView.setCaption(ClosedCaptionsView.java:80)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.displayCurrentClosedCaption(AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.java:577)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.refreshClosedCaptionsView(AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.java:508)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.update(AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.java:690)
at java.util.Observable.notifyObservers(Observable.java:138)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayer.sendNotification(OoyalaPlayer.java:1720)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerStateManager.setState(OoyalaPlayerStateManager.java:36)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerObserverHandler.processContentNotifications(OoyalaPlayerObserverHandler.java:93)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerObserverHandler.handleObserverUpdate(OoyalaPlayerObserverHandler.java:32)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayer.update(OoyalaPlayer.java:1688)
at com.ooyala.android.player.MoviePlayer.update(MoviePlayer.java:140)
at com.ooyala.android.player.Player.setState(Player.java:47)
at com.ooyala.android.player.exoplayer.ExoStreamPlayer.initializePlayer(ExoStreamPlayer.java:176)
at com.ooyala.android.player.exoplayer.ExoStreamPlayer.init(ExoStreamPlayer.java:126)
at com.ooyala.android.player.MoviePlayer.resume(MoviePlayer.java:111)
at com.ooyala.android.player.MoviePlayer.resume(MoviePlayer.java:102)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerContextSwitcher.resumeCurrentPlayer(OoyalaPlayerContextSwitcher.java:142)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayer.resumeAfterAuth(OoyalaPlayer.java:1270)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayer.resume(OoyalaPlayer.java:1262)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.OoyalaPlayerLayoutController.doFullscreenChange(OoyalaPlayerLayoutController.java:121)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.setFullscreen(AbstractOoyalaPlayerLayoutController.java:333)
at com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayer.setFullscreen(OoyalaPlayer.java:2257)
at com.ooyala.android.ui.DefaultOoyalaPlayerInlineControls.onClick(DefaultOoyalaPlayerInlineControls.java:281)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:5210)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:21328)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:739)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:148)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5551)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:730)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:620)
Ooyalan

Re: Android application crashes due to closed caption in V4 Ooyala player

Dear Zahid,

Thank you for writing to us. I have verified the Closed Caption asset crashing with our SkinPlayer Sample application and SDK/Player version are same as you mentioned in your ticket.

The Closed Caption is working fine with our Application and there is no crash or CC issue during the content plays in the device. 

Could you please share the below;

1. Embed Code of the Asset that you are trying to Play which has CC enabled. /Reason: Possible CC file issue.

2. The application builds for us to debug the crash.

Thanks

Carrie

Ooyalan

Dear Zahid,

Did you get a chance to read my last email to you? Please feel free to reach out to us for any technical assistance on this ticket.

Regards
Carrie
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Carrie. It seems issue is with the CC file, you are right. I am checking it with backend team, as soon as i verify it i'll update status here.

Occasional Visitor

csobers wrote:

Dear Zahid,

Thank you for writing to us. I have verified the Closed Caption asset crashing with our SkinPlayer Sample application and SDK/Player version are same as you mentioned in your ticket.

The Closed Caption is working fine with our Application and there is no crash or CC issue during the content plays in the device. 

Could you please share the below;

1. Embed Code of the Asset that you are trying to Play which has CC enabled. /Reason: Possible CC file issue.

2. The application builds for us to debug the crash.

Thanks

Carrie

Carie, I've been encountering this same app crash error. It has been almost 2 weeks now since i've sent the cc file and error logs via email and haven't got any response from support yet :/ Can you please help me??

Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Please check this Ooyala Player Test Page link CC are not showing but same video show caption on iOS and Android. I have tested on BasicPlaybackSampleApp Android sample app. BasicPlaybackSampleApp (and also my Android app) crashes when I enable CC and switch to full-screen mode (by pressing button).

Embed Code: 9teTZsMTE6qextZXldBGWuhz13jpmLjC

Please suggest, where should we look to fix this issue. 

Ooyalan

[ Edited ]

Dear Garry,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please feel free to share the APK file for us to reproduce the issue and to find the app crashing. Could you please share the below;

Ooyala SDK Version: 

Application(Live/Test): Details. I mean APK file required for testing

Any recent changes in your application:

Device specification: 

Regards

Carrie

Ooyalan

Dear Zahid,

Apologies for the delay in my response. I have reproduced the issue in our Ooyala Sample application and this needs more of engineering attention to sort the problem. I would suggest you open a Ticket to our ticketing system and the expert will take it to our engineering team to sort out this issue. If you have an existing ticket, please share the ticket ID in here and I'll take it from there.

While you raise a Ticket, Please do mention that you have reported this issue in the community forum and a tech advised to reach out to you for engineering attention with below information;

- No CC displayed when the user plays the content in Desktop device.

- App crashes when the user hits the full screen with CC enabled on Android device.

- Embed Code: 9teTZsMTE6qextZXldBGWuhz13jpmLjC

Regards

Carrie

Occasional Advisor

Thanks Carrie

I am unable to login to tech-support page getting this same issue

Regards

Zahid

Ooyalan

Dear Zahid,

I'll raise a ticket behalf of you in the portal and send you the details. Please allow me some time to create a ticket.

Thanks
Carrie