Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Occasional Contributor

How to detect if user is scrubbing video

How do I detect if a user is scrubbing the video (manually changing the playhead time) in the V3 Player? I tried subscribing to the Message Bus event 00.EVENTS.SEEK but it only seems to fire when the playhead is moved automatically with the seek() player event. I also tried subscribing to the Message Bus event 00.EVENTS.SEEK_STREAM but that one never seems to fire so I'm not sure what is supposed to trigger it.

Also while I was attempting to troubleshoot this problem I came across the Message Bus documentation page, which says you can use the function OOEvents = “*” to get a list of all these default Events that are published by the Message Bus. Can you provide a code example of how to utilize this? 

Topics: 178
Kudos: 109
Blog Posts: 78
Ideas: 3
Solutions: 39

Re: How to detect if user is scrubbing video

Hi rgreen,

I have escalated this thread to our support team. Stay tuned, someone will be with you shortly.

Best,
Thomas
Please show your appreciation to others. If someone helps you, don't forget to give them Kudos by clicking the star button next to their post. If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Check out our latest Ooyala Engineering Blog!

[ Edited ]

Hi rgreen,

I just had a chat with one of our support engineers. There may be an issue that will require you to open a case. Please use our web form, and someone will respond ASAP.

http://help.ooyala.com/tech-support

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Thomas

Please show your appreciation to others. If someone helps you, don't forget to give them Kudos by clicking the star button next to their post. If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Occasional Contributor

As per Support team's reply on how to subscribe to all events:

<script>

var videoPlayer = OO.Player.create('ooyalaplayer','s2b3NxNDowOEoQBUCEp08e9NeOxOPexb', {

onCreate: function(player) {

window.messageBus = player.mb; // save reference to message bus

} });

window.messageBus.subscribe('*', 'example', function(eventName) { console.log("Event");

});

</script>

Hi,

Thanks for posting the script information. Did this address your issue?

Thanks,
Thomas

Occasional Contributor

Hi Thomas,

That only answers the second part of my question. This issue has still not been resolved:

How do I detect if a user is scrubbing the video (manually changing the playhead time) in the V3 Player? I tried subscribing to the Message Bus event 00.EVENTS.SEEK but it only seems to fire when the playhead is moved automatically with the seek() player event. I also tried subscribing to the Message Bus event 00.EVENTS.SEEK_STREAM but that one never seems to fire so I'm not sure what is supposed to trigger it.

Thanks,

Rachel

[ Edited ]

Hi Rachel,

The issue with the the Message Bus event 00.EVENTS.SEEK_STREAM will require the support engineers to get involved. I recommend opening a case through our online form.

http://help.ooyala.com/tech-support

Please keep us updated on your issue.

Thanks,
Thomas

Frequent Visitor

maybe with the message bus PLAYHEAD_TIME_CHANGED it could work

[ Edited ]

Hi,

There is actually an enhancement for this in the pipeline that is due to release in the near future. I don't have an ETA at the moment, but I will update here when it becomes available.

Best regards,
Thomas

Occasional Contributor

Hey esalinas2210, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the only message bus events that seem to fire when the Flash player is served are playerEmbedded and contentTreeFetched. Not much I can do with only 2 message bus events! To clarify my original post though, this issue seems to only be affecting the Flash player and not the HTML5 player. However the HTML5 player is only supported in Chrome and Safari so it can hardly be relied on as a complete solution.