If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Playing a HLS M3u8

Hi,

This is a question about Ooyala mobile SDK for android. I am trying to play a HLS stream *not* hosted on Ooyala with my app that uses Ooyala SDK.

I am very new to Ooyala platform and moving to this from using ExoPlayer. In ExoPlayer I could just specify the M3U8 (the manifest file for the HLS video) and play the video. But, I don't see any such API with Ooyala. 

Can I use the same interface as I used to in ExoPlayer or should I be figuring out how to get EMBED code for the video, etc?

I will appreciate any pointers to the relevant documentation.

Thanks for your attention!

Accepted Solutions
Occasional Contributor

Re: Playing a HLS M3u8

Hi Ana, 

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to solve this issue the following way. I created an "Unbundled Video" with the stream pointing to my m3u8 file and delivery type set to

DELIVERY_TYPE_HLS

I pointed the OoyalaPlayer to this Unbundled video using the API call 

player.setUnbundledVideo(unbundled_video_object);

This works for me so far. Anything in this that strikes as wrong? 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ooyalan

Hi there!

So you can't simply load a m3u8 URL through the SDK, but your best shot would be to create a Remote Asset that points to your HLS url, retrieve its Content ID and use it as any other video asset in the SDK.

Here's on how to create a remote asset: https://help.ooyala.com/video-platform/concepts/content_remoteassets.html

Hope this helps! Please let us know else.

Regards,

Ana

Occasional Contributor

Hi Ana, 

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to solve this issue the following way. I created an "Unbundled Video" with the stream pointing to my m3u8 file and delivery type set to

DELIVERY_TYPE_HLS

I pointed the OoyalaPlayer to this Unbundled video using the API call 

player.setUnbundledVideo(unbundled_video_object);

This works for me so far. Anything in this that strikes as wrong? 

Thanks,

Occasional Contributor

Hi Ana,

I tried your suggestion (since we are also looking at iOS tests and iOS unbubcled video didn't work very well for us). When I go to the ADD NEW CONTENT tab, as suggested in the link that you mentioned, the "Add Remote Asset" dialogue doesn't appear. If I try to add a "video" . it is looking for a video file on my disk. Am I missing something?

Attaching the screenshot of the issue.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 12.44.46 PM.png