If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.

Using External IDs

0 Kudos
Started ‎05-23-2012 by
Modified ‎11-08-2016 by

Using External IDs

by Ooyala_Content on ‎05-23-2012 03:18 PM - edited on ‎11-08-2016 09:25 AM by Community Manager (1,098 Views)

TS-00037

The External ID is a feature that allows you to reference your videos without using the embedCode to call the video.

ENVIRONMENT

Device Compatibility

All

Operative System

All

Browser

All

Troubleshooting tools

n/a

Other

Other

CAUSE

This is a new feature introduced into Ooyala’s platform with the release of our V2 APIs which allows assigning a specific name to any asset in our library, and use it to reference the video when we want to embed it into our page or retrieve/set information using V2 API

HOW TO USE

Assigning an External ID to an asset can be done with our V2 API using the following notation

[PATCH] /v2/assets/:asset_embedcode

{

"external_id": "externalid"

}

Another method to set an External ID is to via Backlot’s ‘MANAGE’ tab, after selecting a video from the library, click the ‘Details’ sub tab, there you will see a text area set for the ‘External ID’, simply type the external ID that you wish to use for that video and the association will be made.

RESOLUTION 1: Using External ID to embed the video in a web page

In order to successfully embed a video using the External ID, certain query string parameters have to be changed:

embedCode is changed for externalId

videoPcode is changed for pcode

i.e.

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?width=704&height=400&externalId=[externalId]&pcode=locm46NOW1gW9I..."></script>

RESOLUTION 2: Using External ID in V2 APIs

To use the External ID for API purposes simply change the :asset_embedcode that you would do in Scratchpad or your implementation for the External ID

i.e.

[GET] /v2/assets/externalid

REFERENCES

http://help.ooyala.com/video-platform/tasks/api_externalid_edit.html