If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Encoding Settings

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We are in the process of integrating our video optimization platform (https://lightflow.media) with Ooyala Backlot. The process is our platform analyzes the content to be published, takes the decission about what is the best bitrate ladder for that specific content and them publishes it through Ooyala. 

We successfully used Ooyala Backlot API in the past to publish content but for this specific use case, don't find the way of indicating to Backlot which encoding settings we want to use for each asset we publish. Is there any way for doing this? Something like creating an encoding profile and using it for a specific asset? We don't want to use a customer-scope encoding settings, but asset-scope encoding settings.

Ooyalan

Re: Dynamic Encoding Settings

Hi Team, 

This is Sanchit from Ooyala technical support and I'll be assisting you for this request. 

I understood that you're looking to integrate your video optimization platform (https://lightflow.media) with your Ooyala Backlot account. However, can you please elaborate your requirement a bit more? 

Since you've already stated that you've successfully used Ooyala Backlot API in the past to publish content, I would like to inform you that while uploading the content to your Backlot account using the Backlot API's includes the transcoding part (setting up the encoding profile) that's done by our transcoding services. The asset is ingested, transcoded and then successfully uploaded. The encoding profiles are already there in the processing profiles using the assets are transcoded post the ingestion and prior to getting successfully uploaded. Can you please share some context on your statement "something like creating an encoding profile and using it for a specific asset"? 

Once I have the above requested information from you, I'll go ahead and investigate this issue further and shall share my findings. 

Thanks,

Sanchit 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Sanchit,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Just to give you some context, the idea behind our product is optimizing video streams. In its VOD flavour, given a video file (ex: an mp4 file) that you want to publish through Internet as an HLS/DASH stream, LightFlow recommends you the optimal bitrate ladder for each specific content. So, it will recommend you to use higher bitrates for content that has a lot of complexity (movie with lot of movement or detail); it will recommend you to use lower bitrates for low complexity content (a cartoon movie).

Furthermore, apart from the recommendation itself, LightFlow is integrated with third party video platforms and encoders so, when a user publishes a video title using LightFlow API, LightFlow gets the ladder recommendations for that title and transparently for the user publishes it in his video platform. Specifically for Ooyala, this implies LightFlow using Backlot API to publish a content indicating to it what are the recommended encoding settings figured out by LightFlow (set of bitrates and resolutions).

We feel quite comfortable using Backlot API to publish content but we miss the functionality about setting the set of bitrates and renditions (an encoding profile) used for encoding a video title. Looking at the documentation looks like there is a single encoding profile that is used for all the titles published under an specific account. 

Ooyalan

Hi Team, 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

As communicated in my previous email, while using the backlot API's for publishing content, it's our transcoding services/encoding profiles configurations that are being used for the assets. However, we do create multiple processing profiles with varying encoding settings based on the assets that are being transcoded at the backend and the end user can explicitly mention that processing profile ID within the XML that's being uploaded. Doing so, the desired processing profile is being picked up by the transcoding engine during the transcoding else the asset is transcoded using the default PP. 

For your use case, looks like the LightFlow API's will be instructing to the Backlot API on the encoding settings that are figured out by the LightFlow API's. I'll be discussing the possibilities of this with the Backlot engineering team and shall keep you posted as soon as I have more updates. 

Thanks,

Sanchit 

Frequent Visitor

Yep, you got it right. Thanks for your answer and looking forward for your updates. Thanks!

Ooyalan

Hi Team, 

Thanks for the confirmation. 

I'll keep you posted as soon as more information from the backlot engineering team. 

Sanchit 

Ooyalan

Hi Team, 

I am still working on this and shall keep you posted with more updates as soon as I have them from the backlot engineering team. 

Thanks for your patience.

Sanchit 

Frequent Visitor

Great, thanks for the follow up. 

Thanks!