If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Advisor
Accepted Solution

YouTube Videos Fail to Play on iOS

I've uploaded a video from youtube into Backlot. It plays fine in the Ooyala player, but NOT on a mobile device and discovery does not work. It says Invalid Content.

http://gardentv.tv/kale-king-of-greens/

Any ideas for this?

Accepted Solutions
Ooyala Alumni (Retired)

Re: YouTube Videos Fail to Play on iOS

That is an expected behavior as we do not process or transcode youtube videos.
Please show your appreciation to others. If someone helps you, don't forget to give them Kudos by clicking the star button next to their post. If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ooyala Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

This is an expected behavior. Assets comming from Youtube are flv format and we do not transcode them.

Please let me know if you have any further doubts or questions.

Regards,

Paola Ruiz

Please show your appreciation to others. If someone helps you, don't forget to give them Kudos by clicking the star button next to their post. If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."
Advisor

Thank you.
Seems strange that a video hosted on youtube plays fine on a mobile device, but when it is uploaded to backlot, it no longer plays.
Ooyala Alumni (Retired)

That is an expected behavior as we do not process or transcode youtube videos.
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 4

We actually wrap YouTube's chromeless Flash player within the Ooyala Flash Player, but we do not currently support YouTube's standalone HTML5 player.  In this workflow we don't actually ingest or transcode any video files, but simply use YouTube's Player inside of our own UI and player wrapper. This way you can still style the playback experience, set your publishing rules and obtain audience insights on what YouTube content has been played alongside your regular video assets.

Occasional Visitor

Sorry to bother mates, since this is a related thread about YouTube playback error,  may i post my own related question here and want a feasible answer. When I was playing a YouTube video in VLC on Windows 7, " VLC is unable to open the MRL" popped up on my screen. The YouTube video was uploaded by me from my PS4 recordings days ago. In this article, as you can see from this article "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/vlc-unable-mrl.html", it says I must convert the video codec and formats for a better compatibility and only in this way can the YouTube video be played again. But i do not really want to use a third-party software or change any video parameters or launch a video format conversion since I know to convert video formats always means an dramatic quality loss or frame rate drop. My video output is 720p and maybe 30fps(I did not test it but I think it is smooth enough) which I think is quite good. So, I want to ask you guys is video conversion the only method to solve the YouTube MRL issue? Is there another good alternative way to handle this problem?????

Topics: 179
Kudos: 109
Blog Posts: 78
Ideas: 3
Solutions: 39

Hello AC,

From the information I found on the Internet it appears to be the firewall on the local computer causing the error.

See more info here: http://vlchelper.com/vlc-is-unable-to-open-the-mrl/

Hope this helps.

Best, Thomas

Check out our latest Ooyala Engineering Blog!
Advisor

[ Edited ]