If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Visitor
Accepted Solution

linux: this video isn't encoded for your device

Hi,

I subscribe to 'https://psaworldtour.com/tv/', and for their 'live' stream it looks like they are using the ooyala player.

On both browsers (firefox and chrome), I get the error:

this video isn't encoded for your device

I ask the squashtv for help, but they are not technical (I am also a software developer).

Please can you help me?

What codec do I need, or does your player work with Linux ???

Any other suggestions ???

Thanks,

John.

ps. the 'replay' streams work fine, it's just the live stream with this problem.

Accepted Solutions
Ooyalan

Re: linux: this video isn't encoded for your device

Hi John,

The setting in the Squash TV account is a little unusual as our live streams will not play back on desktop browsers without Flash, but it's possible that there's non-live content on their site which that setting would affect. I have to admit to not being familiar with their site as we don't provide support for customer websites, just the player and the surrounding technology.

I understand your concerns around Flash as a whole. Regarding support for live streaming in our HTML5 player, I can't provide any information on our product roadmap, but we are conscious of the goings-on in our industry, and we are very much aware of what we need to do to stay competitive!

I'm afraid that the only solution I can offer at present is to use Chrome's built-in Pepperflash plugin for the time being. At time of writing, there simply is not a way to watch live streams in our player without Flash on desktop computers.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

-Jack

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ooyalan

Hi John,

Jack from Ooyala technical support here. I'll help with this.

I'm afraid that Linux is not one of our supported platforms, but I will do what I can to get you up and running.

Judging by the error you're receiving, it sounds like you have Flash disabled in your browser. At present, when using a desktop machine, live streams will only play back using our Flash-based player.

As a first step, can you please check whether the PepperFlash plugin is enabled within Google Chrome? To do this, take the following steps:

1. Open Chrome.
  2. Type chrome://plugins into the address bar and hit enter.
  3. If the Details view is not already expanded, click on Details at the top right of the page.
  4. Scroll down to "Adobe Flash Player"
  5. Under the section which says Type: PPAPI, click the Enable link if one is displayed. (see attached screenshot)

Let me know if you have PepperFlash in Chrome, and if you are able to enable it.

Many thanks,

-Jack

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 16.30.07.png
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion Jack.

FYI: in my 'account' with the squash tv people, there is a setting to use flash or not. If I choose

that, then it is a global setting (in my account) across all devices I might use to watch the

stream.

So, 'allowing' Flash in my account, then with both Firefox and Chrome (on my Linux) will use

the flash player and work.

I'd rather use html5 for the stream - flash is not a good technology and will be dropped soon.

So - please let me know if there is anything we can try on Linux to get it working (changing

user agents/fooling the browser/player)?

And if not, then please let me know if you are working on (or planning to) a Linux version?

If not, then I can see a time coming soon where I won't be able to use html5 or flash, so

my subscription to the squash tv (your customer) will become worthless...

Thanks,

John.

Ooyalan

Hi John,

The setting in the Squash TV account is a little unusual as our live streams will not play back on desktop browsers without Flash, but it's possible that there's non-live content on their site which that setting would affect. I have to admit to not being familiar with their site as we don't provide support for customer websites, just the player and the surrounding technology.

I understand your concerns around Flash as a whole. Regarding support for live streaming in our HTML5 player, I can't provide any information on our product roadmap, but we are conscious of the goings-on in our industry, and we are very much aware of what we need to do to stay competitive!

I'm afraid that the only solution I can offer at present is to use Chrome's built-in Pepperflash plugin for the time being. At time of writing, there simply is not a way to watch live streams in our player without Flash on desktop computers.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

-Jack

Visitor

Thanks for the extra info.

Yes, they have both live and recorded streams.

I'd be happy to share a login with you (privately), if you like, just email me.

Are you saying - for a live stream, even on a Windows platform, Flash is required ?

John.

Ooyalan

Hi John,

That's correct. On Windows, Linux, and OS X desktop environments, Flash is currently required to play back a live stream.

Best regards,

-Jack

Established Member

I'm encountering this same error trying to play a recorded video here: http://www.marthastewart.com/349209/blueberry-bran-muffins

I'm also on Linux.  In chrome://plugins, I have the following information:

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 18.0.0.160
Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
Name:Shockwave Flash
Description:Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
Version:18.0.0.160
Location:/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so
Type:PPAPI (out-of-process)
MIME types:
MIME typeDescriptionFile extensions
application/x-shockwave-flashShockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplashFutureSplash Player
.spl

So, the Pepper Flash plugin is installed and PPAPI is enabled.

Occasional Advisor

present, when using a desktop machine, live streams will only play back using our Flash-based player.  https://xender.pro/ https://discord.software/ https://omegle.onl/

Occasional Visitor

we are able to see that the version used is 4.18.15 while the fix was deployed after version 4.28. We recommend updating the plugins paths to the following ones: