If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Occasional Visitor

Cache buster using ooyala hosting mode

Hi,

reading ooyala integration modes for Player v4, it seems embeded one is the way to go along with ooyala CDNs (https://help.ooyala.com/video-platform/concepts/pbv4_resources.html#pbv4_resources__pbv4_host_resour... ) , however Iwonder how cache breaker / buster will work if we use following urls:

<script src="//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/core.min.js"></script>
<script src="//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/video-plugin/main_html5.min.js"></script>
<script src="//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/skin-plugin/html5-skin.min.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet " href="//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/skin-plugin/html5-skin.min.css " />

So how browser will know there is a new version that needs to be downloaded if we are not appending timespan nor hdm5 hash to these urls.

Thanks
Robert
Ooyalan

Re: Cache buster using ooyala hosting mode

Dear Robert,

My sincere apologies for the delay. Nice to meet you. I'm Carrie from Ooyala support.

Here is the clarification for your query;

Production Path 1# //player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/ - Ooyala pushes all our officially certified releases to this dedicated location.

* Once the Player has been implemented on the client's Live page. When the User launches the Client's live page for the first time, it will download all the necessary files from the above location(into browser Cache) to load the player with the associated content.

* If the same user launches the same Live page again in the browser, it will reach out to the above location to check for the new version(where we have a code logic to analyze the dedicated path has a new version or existing version).

* If there is no new version released, then the player supported files will be loaded from the browser cache(This will save the unwanted downloads and it will save the delay time of loading the player). Otherwise, it will fetch the newly released version from the above location and of course, it will be in the browser cache.

Production Path 2# //player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/latest/ - Ooyala publish all our certified releases to this path before we push it to "Production Path 1#".

So having cache buster or Timestamp isn't required when we have a code logic analysis method to get the new releases from the production path. This will avoid unnecessary downloads and delay in loading the player in the Client's Live page.

Let me know if you need any other clarification.

Regards
Carrie

Ooyala Support

Occasional Visitor

Thanks Carrie for detailed explanation, 

it makes sense now, so i don't have to worry about cache buster / breaker as ooyala takes care of it.

Robert

Ooyalan

Dear Robert,

Absolutely. Let me know if you need any other clarification. I'll be happy to assist you.

Regards

Carrie