If you don't find an answer, please click here to post your question.
Occasional Advisor

Unmute button won't show when preroll ad plays

Hi,

I am using parameter muteFirstPlay so that when I programatically tell the ooyala player to play, the video will autoplay muted and an unmute button shows. This works great. However when an ad is show preroll, then the unmute button does not show and after that ad is finished and the video plays, I do not get an unmute button. If I then replay the video by clicking the play button, I do not get an unmute button either.

Can anyone tell me how to get this unmute button to show when an ad prerolls?

Thank you,

Brian

Occasional Advisor

Re: Unmute button won't show when preroll ad plays

I'm not sure that using muteFirstPlay works well for me since in some instances I don't want first play of videos muted. I was using the API call player.mute() to mute the video, however this does not cause an unmute button to show up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ooyalan

Do you mean the unmute button that appears on top of the video canvas at the top left? This is a specific UI element that currently is invoked only with the 'autoplay' setting, where run-time logic checks if autoplay is allowed and programmatically mutes the player. Otherwise, this UI element currently isn't shown for the muted state. However, the speaker icon in the control bar should correctly reflec the mute/unmuted state, and enables the user to mute/unmute the player. Are you not seeing the state of this UI element reflecting the state you are setting with the player.mute()?

Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Yes - I mean the unmute button that appears on top of the video canvas at the top left?

I do not have autoplay configured as true in the player configuration. I have muteFirstPlay set to true in the configuration. I simply invoke the play method on the player and when the video plays I see the UI element for unmute. However when an ad prerolls, the UI element for unmute never shows up.

To your second point, I do not have the speaker icon showing in the control bar. I currently do not know how to configure it. 

Thanks

Brian

Occasional Advisor

don't really know what to do about this.

I tried throwing this in my html 

<button class="oo-unmute" type="button" tabindex="0" aria-label="Unmute">
<div class="oo-unmute-icon-wrapper">
<span class="oo-icon oo-icon-volume-mute-ooyala-default" style="font-family: ooyala-slick-type;">p</span>
</div>
</button>

I can see a mute button before my video (not on top of). I guess I may be able to jerry rig this but certainly doesn't seem like the way to get this mute button to show up.

Can you offer any more insight on why this isn't working and how to do it correctly?

Thanks 

Occasional Advisor

I removed our code that progamatically invoked play and pause on the video. I configured the player for autoplay: true and muteFirstPlay: true. After doing these 2 things, then the videos ran with preroll ad and an unmute button displayed so that I could unmute either the ad or the video.  

I noticed that when in autoplay (and the ad and or video are playing) if you get the state of the player, the state comes back as "ready" rather than "playing". 

We were trying to pause video when it was not in display so that ads were not shown until in front of the user. Using autoplay ads and video play immediately regardless of whether they are visible.

I still need to solve this. I figure if I could get the state back correctly from the player during autoplay I could pause and play the video progamatically as desired - not sure since it gave me problems before.

Could I programatically reconfigure the player into autoplay and out of autoplay as the player came into view? If not, then it seems I need the correct state back from the player when it's playing in autoplay.

Thank you,
Brian